Thursday, October 4, 2007

Compromise

Its funny that Wisp mentions that she's finding out that her Romeo is more traditional in certain ways than she thought. I have been finding out the same things about my Prince (do you think they'll hate us for their nicknames?). The dress is a pretty good example of this. I showed him a few dresses I thought were neat, though I wouldn't wear them. The more mermaid kind of dress, like this one:


He said that it barely looked like a wedding dress (then he tried to imitate them trying to walk in said dress, which was endlessly funny). That being said, I think whatever you wear on your wedding day is your wedding dress, and he was just being silly.

But is the supremely puffy white wedding dress traditional at all? The puffy part probably comes from the victorian era, since obviously the more layers your skirt had the richer you were.* The whiteness of the wedding dress comes from the idea that white is virginial and of course the bride should be a virgin on her wedding night.

Fat chance.

I'll still wear white(ish) because I like how it looks. The supremely stark whites totally wash me out, but even a touch of shade (like diamond white from Maggie Sottero) look really nice against my pinkish skin. I originally planned to wear ivory, because that looks even better, but I heard "ivory is for second-time brides!" too many times. Diamond white is my compromise (and the party in question won't find out its diamond white until long after its ordered... hahahah!).

I've decided not to actually put up the dress I intend to get, since I don't want everyone to see it before the day. But here are some dresses I love, think are very traditional (with a twist, of course) wedding gowns, perfect for this Princess:





*I'm making crap up.


-Aurora

2 comments:

Emily said...

I loved the footnote. Taking cues from everyone's favorite Oregon-doctorate-student / breakfast food?

Loki said...

Obviously, who wouldn't want to be like bacon! :-D